Saturday, July 12, 2008

A Mother's Thoughts



Ok, here goes...

Rod has been asking me to write something for quite some time now. He has mused that he is the only husband that he knows of that blogs. I love that I have a very sentimental husband (don't let his tough exterior fool you) and I have thoroughly enjoyed reading his blogs about us. Truth is, I didn't even know what a blog was until he showed me a friend's blog and announced he was going to create one. I guess I am still a little in the dark ages with all these blackberries and I-phones, I-pods and I-hardly know what any of it is. I have just started checking my email regularly in the last few months. Also, Rod is a much better writer than I and I haven't known what to say until now.

While Max was standing in the kitchen tonight whining about eating a cookie rather than dinner, it hit me. Our blog needed a mother's perspective on all of the things we love about our children. After all, that is what our life, I mean blog is mostly about and until now no one knows what I think about them. So, let me see....

Briggs

Briggs really loves to have a good time. He is so kindhearted and he loves his daddy more than anyone in the world. He also loves me and his "little bro" a lot, but he and his dad have a very special bond. They love to go out after dark and do missions in the front yard. No, this is not evangelism role playing, they are fighting aliens (or other bad guys) with their light sabers. He and his dad also share a love of homemade chocolate chip cookies, but I get the privilege of him helping me make them. Since we usually don't get out the recipe card, he even reminds me when I forget the egg. He knows all of the ingredients and helps me stir everything and drop spoonfuls on the baking sheet. As soon as they are gone he asks, "mom can we bake some more chocolate chip cookies today?"

Briggs loves spaghetti-os and must eat them with a golden spoon. In fact, he insists on eating all his meals with the gold utensils. He is some kind of superhero everyday, in full costume almost all the time when we are home and sometimes when we go out. I had to draw the line with church. He loves ironman, spiderman, transformers, Indiana Jones, Star Wars, I am sure I am forgetting something. One day we were outside and I was princess Leah and he was Luke using the force to bring his ship up out of the quick sand. It was hilarious. You might think that it was my first time being Princess Leah, but you would be wrong. My cousin Jody and I used to play the very same thing at Granny Margaret's house when we were little. Time doesn't change everything.

Briggs never forgets anything, I mean anything. He can for some reason memorize commercials with amazing accuracy and bring them to mind right when you could use whatever they are selling. Such as while I am watering my plants he suggests the Abla Glove as he calls it (or Aqua Globe) so I will never have to worry about my plants dying or a mess on my floor again. Or if I run out of closet space, the Space bags storage packs "work with any hose of a vacuum and will keep clothes as fresh as the day you put them in." He also likes to memorize Bible verses and ask me theological questions about God, reminds me of the R&B bit.

The best thing about Briggs is how he, from the day he was born, loves to snuggle. He used to fall asleep on his dad's chest every night and five and a half years later still wants to snuggle with someone every night to go to sleep. Usually when I am snuggling him, he asks if he can hold my hand. My sweet little boy will start to kindergarten in a few weeks and I am completely brokenhearted. When I think about how much I love him, my heart literally feels like it is going to explode.

And then there's Max...

Boy, how he has shaken things up around here! Max lights up a room with his beautiful smile. He loves cookies. About those cookies, yes I let him eat two tonight, instead of supper. He loves cookies so much I have to hide them or that is all he would eat. Not that there is a lot of anything he eats right now, he ate Cheetos for lunch at a birthday party today. First time moms will cringe, but those with picky eaters will understand, I hope.

Max has to have his security blanket, or rather bumper pad, wherever we go. He loves his bed so much that he somehow has gotten attached to the fabric on the bumper pads. He rubs the chenille with his fingers and I find little pieces of it all over the floor under his bed. Now who does that sound like?

Max's favorite word right now is no, which he has started saying loudly and with conviction. It's especially fun when we are in a crowd of people.

Max also loves deer. Mostly dead ones hanging on walls, but he really loves deer. He has a movie with deer in it and it is his favorite movie of all time. It's called Stranger in the Woods and it's not even a cartoon. He also likes to watch Momo at Granny and Papa's house (that's Nemo or Elmo, either one).

Max also loves to dance which kind of looks like the chicken dance (the bock bock bock part). He also loves to do just about anything that his big brother does. He likes to tackle daddy, swing in a big kid swing, not a baby swing, and play baseball. He holds the wrong end of the bat and hits the ball off the tee and runs. Max loves balls of any kind. Even the ones on a sporting goods store sign as he just pointed out today. Even the ones that other kids are playing with, or rather especially those.

Although Max can be high-spirited at times, he is also such a sweet baby. He gives the best kisses, freely to anyone, but there is only one person he hugs. He loves to hug his big brother and does so, often. The other day Briggs cut his finger and it was bleeding and Briggs was crying pretty hard. Max threw both arms around Briggs' waist and hugged him for the longest time. The bond they have developed is one of the best things about having two boys. It just melts my heart every time I see them be affectionate with each other. They love each other so much and play so well together.

Well there you have it. That felt pretty good. Hopefully this won't be my only post. Technology isn't so bad after all.

1 comment:

  1. Yea! You did great and there was no bruising :) A mother's perspective is definitely different and just as important. I hope that the first day of kindergarten goes well for you all!!! At least Briggs will most likely go without crying, right.?.?

    ReplyDelete