Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Getting Ready for Kindergarten



Where have the last five years gone? It seems just yesterday that my (Leslie) sweet little Briggs was playing in his daddy's sock drawer, chewing on "Blue's" paw, and talking one hundred miles an hour in a language no one could understand. And wasn't it just last night that I was reading "Good Night Sweet Butterflies" over and over to get him to sleep. Time goes by too fast and now I am supposed to let him go to school and walk himself down two long hallways to his classroom by the fourth day. I must send him off to navigate the lunchroom all by himself without helping him to get his tray, choose his food, or get to his seat. I already asked Rod if we could just wait until next year to send him. Of course he said no. All of this I have to face while not letting Briggs see me cry.
While part of me is panicked and sad, the other part of me is excited at all of the new things he is going to be learning and all of the new discoveries that he will make. Briggs is one child who loves to learn new things and he is going to have a blast. His teacher seems very sweet and the school is a great school. Today we signed him up to play soccer and this time he will play with 6 and 7 year olds, so I hope he will learn a lot and enjoy it.
Lastly, when I think of Briggs growing up and how much I love him, I can't help but think of 1John 3:1, "How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God." The concept of God's love took on a whole new meaning for me when I had children. That God would call himself our Father is great news! It means that just like my earthly daddy, He will always love me and I will always be His child. If I have a personal relationship with Him, there is nothing I can do to make Him love me any more or less. Yes, He is a just God and I deserved punishment for my sin. But Jesus took that punishment with Him to the cross and reconciled me to God so that He can be my Father and lavish His love on me.
Thank you God, for reminding me of this today, I needed it.

2 comments:

  1. Briggs is going to do great! I am sure you will not be the only mother in tears for the first few days but like you said, he will love every minute of it. Afterall, how cool is it to eat in a "big" lunchroom?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will be on my mind all day tomorrow, so call if you need to talk!!!!! He will love it, not every day, but most days.

    ReplyDelete