Thursday, January 15, 2009

Briggs pulls his first card


Briggs has never gotten in trouble at school, not for 96 days of school. That really is an amazingly long streak without getting anything other than a verbal correction. Until today.......


He got in the car and when I asked him "how was school today" he just said, "look in my bag." I took out his blue folder and looked at the behavior chart with stars all over it and was shocked to see "talking in the hallway line." This means he had to pull a card. But just one, as he quickly reminded me.


Quick Review of Starry Eyes Behavior System

Each day student begins on Starry Eyes card
Each card behind the starry eyes card have lessening degrees of not so starry eyes on them (about 3 or four of them)
Until you get to the pink card which has a frowny face on it
If you pull the pink card you go to the office

I don't know if any other kid has gone this long with never pulling a card, but Briggs has been very proud of his perfect record, frequently praying that others would follow in his footsteps. Maybe even a little prideful about this.

Well, not today. He was very contrite and ashamed. He told me that his brain had been thinking all day about how to tell me and would I please tell dad because he just did not think he could. we talked about the meaning of confession (telling the truth about what you did wrong) and I thought it was the perfect "teachable moment" so I added that when we confess our sins to God and ask Him to forgive us, He does. Before I could look up in the rear view mirror he was praying! I told him that he was forgiven and that it was over and not to worry about it anymore.

Bless his heart, he reminded me of a certain curly haired girl that got put in the corner for talking in Mrs. Holman's K5 class at Trinity Presbyterian School in 1980. She never really got over it......still remembers the way she felt standing there staring at the wall........ anyway....

I hope as the years go by and he begins to see the ugliness of his sin, that he also sees the beauty of our Savior.

"But He said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for My power is made perfect in (your) weakness." 2 Cor 12:9

2 comments:

  1. What a blessing to my heart to read this...where MW is in school they earn tickets for wise decisions and have to pull a ticket (from what they've earned) for unwise decisions...when they have five tickets they go to the treasure box and it starts over...MW came in today with tears in her eyes and told me she needed to tell me something she had done...she punched a boy in the stomach...because he wouldn't stop tickling her...and she had to pull ALL of her tickets. It was traumatic to say the least...and we had a very similar, tearful, conversation....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have tears in my eyes, what a precious story!
    You did a wonderful job with that :)

    ReplyDelete