Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Thankful

Tonight started like any other night, come home, boys excited to see me, kiss from Les, something baking in the oven, good ole boring life, man I love it. Anyway, Leslie had made brownies and Briggs asked if he could have one, I told him no b/c we I was making dinner soon and he needed to wait until after we ate. He reluctantly accepted that and went off to do something else. Being somewhat soft-hearted (not very on some things I admit), I broke off a piece and went to find him. When he saw what I had he got a disappointed look on his face and started crying (a very rare occasion) b/c he said he wanted a particular one instead of the piece that I brought him. The dad in me took over and I saw immediately that we needed a little lesson in being thankful. So to timeout he goes. After a few minutes I go get him and we have a good long talk about being ungrateful and what it means to be thankful, really thankful. Even trying to put aside parental pride, I think Briggs is one of the most polite kids I know, but tonight was neat because you could tell after we talked about it a few times, he really got the idea of being thankful for something. After dinner he offered me and Max his last bit of brownie and even offered me his last sip of milk. When he gave me his brownie he told me how much he loved me, hugged me, told me how thankful he was for everything, and was crying when he said it (this is like an hour after our talk), what a strange mix of love, pride, and gratefulness to God. Tonight started like any other night, but it was probably the first night that I can think of where he really started to get one of the big concepts in life that I hope with God's help my boys grow up to truly understand.

Other stories...most every night I read Briggs a verse or so out of the Bible, usually Proverbs (Leslie's idea) since they're pretty simple and easy to explain, the 3-2-1 Penguins are quite fond of Proverbs as well. Anyway, Briggs apparently learned from church the sign language for Bible and now whenever I forget, instead of telling me I forgot he "signs" it to me. It's weird being taught sign language by your kid, good, but weird. Oh, and Briggs lost his second tooth at school last week, finally.


Max I think if finally working through some of his tougher two year old stuff. His number of super sweet days is going up in proportion to his super ill days. Today Leslie said after he got up from his nap he kept saying "kiss you there" and gave her like 40 kisses all over. He and Briggs are finally at a point where they can play really well together and yet get on each other's nerves real easily too. They're both building lego space ships and showing them off, wrestling with each other, building pillow ships together, just about everything together. And as for me and him, I can't imagine it being much better, he obeys me (Les not so much) so well, let's me do anything that no one else can do, like wash his hair without a fuss, clip his fingernails, little stuff. He has his moments here and there for sure, but mostly he's a wonderful little boy. With Briggs in baseball (another post), it's become more and more evident how much Max is going to want to play EVERYTHING. It seems that there are kids that just for some reason are attracted to sports and anything to do with a ball, Briggs enjoys them but I think likes the social aspect as much as anything, Max however just naturally loves them. It won't be long and he'll have his time, part of me can't wait and part of me dreads the added hustle and bustle, it'll be worth it though I'm sure. I can't believe how fast he's growing up too, sigh.

3 comments:

  1. Awww Rod, got a little teared up here....... brothers and thier dads : )
    Sam and Davis hug for bed each night and it has been turning into a laughing wrestling match the past few nights, priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a sweet post, Sweetie! I'm teary-eyed too. Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok this is reminding me way to much of J of the J and T posts. Way to many words. Teach your kids to read...great...but don't go expecting us blog viewers to read that much. :) Great stories. Your a great dad.

    ReplyDelete