Saturday, July 25, 2009

Carpe Diem



The summer is flying by and Briggs will start first grade in less than three weeks. Some days we have been busy and some days have been boring. Yesterday was one of those boring days. In my boredom, I was reminded that I have been wasting days as if I am promised an unlimited supply. Lives are not made up of as many big events, as they are small hours. I can never get this summer back once it is gone. So I prayed that God would help me to cherish every day and motivate me to create sweet memories with my children.



So today I set out to document the entire day. Rod took the boys to do manly things, like go to the Tractor Supply Store (even though we have no tractor in need of supplies) and to borrow a chain saw from a friend to cut down some dead trees in our back yard. I, on the other hand, grabbed the camera and headed to the Mt. Laurel Farmer's Market to buy some local produce and to enjoy a few peaceful hours to myself. Mt. Laurel is one of my favorite places, right after Seaside. The houses are like a mountainous version of Grove Park (our old neighborhood) with tons of trees and just about everything you need to live there and never have to leave. There is a corner grocery, a soda fountain, a pizza place, a toy/candy store, a dry cleaners, I could go on and on. It is so beautiful and a story book place to live. Mom and I went there last Saturday, but Max did not feel well and we did not get to stay very long and browse. (Ok, that's a lovely way to put it, but not at all true. He pitched a fit as soon as we got out of the car.) So today I went back alone and met two farmers from Jones Valley Farm, a very beautiful (and very hip) farm just down the road from Mt. Laurel, who told me all about their chocolate bell peppers, lipstick peppers, San Marzano tomatoes, and fresh basil. They supply vegetables to some local chefs and inspired me to make some fresh pasta sauce with roasted red peppers and basil.









I also met a precious woman, who remembered me from last Saturday as the mother of the screaming child, who makes gourmet shortbread cookies using German molds that were belonged to her mother. I was privileged to talk with her long enough to hear her testimony and what becoming a Christ follower has cost her. My heart ached as she told me her story and I was amazed at how two strangers can connect instantly when they are sisters in Christ. The delicious and beautiful cookies have images of flowers, shepherds, angels, or even Jesus on them. Rod especially liked them and said for me to keep buying the "Jesus bread" for him.


After driving around looking at the houses for a few minutes, I headed to Bug Juice Gardens for some more plants to kill- uhh -water frequently. They have really beautiful plants and it was fun to look around without worrying about little hands causing mischief.




After a couple other stops, I headed to Edgar's Bakery for a fried green tomato BLT. It was so good, but I thought people might think I was crazy if I took a picture of it. This sign below will have to suffice. I also picked up a cupcake and a cookie for the boys and headed home.




After Max's nap, we all went outside. While Rod worked on the trees, the boys threw the frisbee to each other and played on the swingset and trampoline.




Briggs and Max decided they wanted to roast hotdogs for dinner, so after Rod finished working, he built a "campfire" to cook our hotdogs. He made four seats out of the tree stumps and we all sat around the fire, sweating.

We ate our hotdogs (except for Max who decided he just wanted a poptart) and the boys played until it was too dark to keep playing. At 9:00 the freshly bathed boys finally went to bed. Briggs and I read the last chapter of Ruth, so that he would be ready for the sermon tomorrow; and we both prayed that God would help him sit still and listen to it.

As it is now midnight, I think I can say this day was seized. Thank you Lord for such a good day. Help me to treat everyday as if it were as precious as it really is.

2 comments:

  1. FANTASTIC POST!!!! Carpe deim all the way! thanks for the reminder! and great pics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a nice mom day! Love the pic of Briggs upside down and all of the rest too!

    ReplyDelete