Thursday, September 10, 2009

Growing Pains


Last year I thought Briggs was fearless. A social butterfly. A happy-go-lucky little boy. I thought kindergarten was the best thing he had ever experienced; he loved it so much. This year, I am wondering if it was all just too good to be true.

Everything thing is just... different. He cries a little every day before school. He begs me to let him stay home. Then he begs me to come eat lunch with him. At lunch, he begs me to check him out and sheds a few more tears. Then he begs me to come really early to car line.

There is nothing he can exactly put his finger on that is wrong ...... other than he is bored, school lasts too long, and he just misses us.

I want to fix something, but I can't fix any of these things. Today my mom reminded that "he just has that homesick feeling." That brought back some memories, as I am all too familiar with that feeling. I had a terrible first grade year and I can still feel that sense of dread and that lump that wells up in your throat and that unmistakable stomachache that I felt just about every day of first grade (and for the two days I stayed at Space Camp before calling my parents to come get me!)

Today as I watched him and the other kids walk into the school, I saw a little girl trip and fall on the sidewalk. As she got up crying, her eyes frantically searched the car line to find her mother. At first her mother did not see her and my eyes filled with tears for her. Then as the cars were pulling off, her mother pulled over and got out to see about her little girl. It's amazing how moms can make some things better. But not everything I guess......


Why does growing up have to be so hard? I did not know it was just as hard for the parent as it was for the child.

And so I pray...

that God will be his friend, his comforter, his superhero. That in time He will make all things new. That He will work this out for Briggs' good. That He will show Himself faithful to even a six year old.

5 comments:

  1. I will be praying for Briggs. But, I mean...if yall weren't such fun parents he would like school better. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, now I'm crying! I hope Briggs gets adjusted...I'm sure he will before too long! Then you'll be wishing he'd want you more often!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When you are a Grandmother you still feel all those 'mother' feelings. It hurts my heart to know that one of my grandchildren is feeling homesick for his mom and dad. Visions of Briggs crying like he does run through my mind and I want to cry with him. I guess I'll have to go up there--an yes he will get adjusted---eventually! love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm teary. Y'all are precious. Reading about what God is doing in your hearts is precious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been praying for little Briggs since we last talked on the phone. My heart breaks for you guys too. Now that you mention it, I hated 1st grade too. Maybe it has something to do with the year.

    ReplyDelete