Friday, June 18, 2010

16 Years of Wedded Bliss



Last Friday was our 16th wedding anniversary. To celebrate,we got a babysitter and made dinner reservations. There is a restaurant that I had been wanting to try for over a year. I saw it in Southern Living magazine and tore out the article. I saved it thinking it would be a great place to go for a date night- and a year and two months later- we had one. Has it seriously been that long? I can't remember, but I think it was Valentine's Day 2009. Yes, we both agree that needs to be more of a priority!

Needless to say, it was a special night! We went to Buttermilk Hill Restaurant in Sylacauga. Despite of the year long wait, it did not disappoint! The restaurant is located in an old Victorian house with lots of character and history. The food is southern prepared in a classic French style (see, I am well versed on this because I have the Julia Child "Mastering the Art of French Cooking" cookbook that I love to cook from. I think that makes me an expert, if not in cooking, then eating.) They call it "New Southern Cuisine," but I call it right down my alley.


We started with a mushroom cream soup with Asiago cheese and green onion sausage. We were going to share a cup, but it was so good, we just ordered another one. It was Rod's favorite part of the meal! I had blackened red grouper topped with crabmeat buerre blanc, (French, see?) buttermilk mashed potatoes, and assorted vegetables which included summer squash, asparagus, carrots, and butter beans, all perfectly cooked. Rod had the dry rubbed Black Angus New York strip topped with whiskey buttered onions and the same sides that I had.

Here was our dessert:


Bread pudding with vanilla bean ice cream and chocolate whiskey sauce. It takes 40 minutes to prepare, so you order it at the beginning of your meal and by the time you are done, viola! It is steaming hot and delicious!

The entire night, we were treated to a sort of small town hospitality that you rarely experience anymore. The owners were so gracious and treated us like friends. When we arrived, there was elderly couple there on a date. They came over to talk to us after they finished their dinner and it turns out they were the Purcell's, the owners of Farmlinks, Rod's most favorite golf course in the entire world, nay, the entire universe. Rod and Mr. Purcell talked golf for a few minutes and when we told them we were celebrating our anniversary, Mrs. Purcell told me that they had 40 years on us- as they have been married for 56 years! What a neat picture of marriage to see on our anniversary!

It was so nice to be able to leisurely sit and talk to each other about our hopes and dreams. I am so glad we still share the exact same ones, just as we always have. There is something so special about the knowing that comes when two people have loved each other for so long. I hope there will be many more anniversaries to share- finishing each other's sentences, knowing what the other will order, knowing what the other is thinking just by looking into their eyes. Through all the growing and changing over the years, God has continued to draw us closer to each other and Himself. I am so thankful for that and cannot wait until we celebrate 56 years or more together!

4 comments:

  1. Happy Anniversary! Okay, a pregnant woman should never read that! Yummy!! I've never been there, but I know Jonathan sends groups there to eat.

    So glad you got to meet Mr Jimmy and Ms Chris. Aren't they the sweetest! Such a kind and genuine couple. I'm shocked that Rod didn't go home with them to play golf in their backyard!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful anniversary. 16 years....seriously. How old were you guys when you got married 12? =o) Totally kidding I just never would have guessed that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy, Happy, Happy Anniversary!!! 16 years - WOW!!! Go girl!!! I got a little teary reading this.

    I love seeing older couples, married for what seems like eons, still in love. I always wonder what kinds of fires they've walked through, what kinds of storms they've weathered - I see them and I'm like, "y'all are awesome because YOU DID IT!" So glad you had such a special example on your anniversary dinner.

    Sounds like it was a wonderful evening. Congratulations!!! You're an encouragement and example to us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 16 years?! WOW! Happy Happy Anniversary!! It looks like you had a great night out!

    ReplyDelete