Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Pretty Profound Words....for a spider




"Why did you do all this for me?" he asked. "I don't deserve
it. I've never done anything for you."
"You have been my friend," replied Charlotte.
"That in itself is a tremendous thing. I wove my webs for you
because I liked you. After all, what's a life anyway?
We're born, we live a little while, we die. A spider's life can't help being something of a mess, with all this trapping and eating flies. By helping you, perhaps I was trying to lift up my life a trifle. Heaven knows anyone's life can stand a little of that." E. B. White

Last week, Briggs and I finished reading Charlotte's Web. He loved it and looked forward to reading it every night before bed. By the time we reached the end, I felt like I was 9 years old again, reading the first book that ever made me cry. I started the sniffling and shaky voice and he gave me a "you knew this was coming; how could you do this to me?" look. But is was a special moment shared together that I hope he will always remember.

Rod tried to keep Max occupied while Briggs and I sat recovering, swollen eyed and red faced. When we were done, he came in and announced, "How about a happy adventure book next- Treasure Island, maybe?"






Winter will pass, the days will lengthen, the ice will melt in the pasture pond. The song sparrow will return and sing, the frogs will awake, the warm wind will blow again. All these sights and sounds and smells will be yours to enjoy, Wilbur - this lovely world, these precious days..."

Yes, profound indeed. And I can't wait, for they are so precious.

4 comments:

  1. OH Leslie...I fell apart at the end of this read. Sister and I read it together and the tears...they would not stop. Yes, profound, indeed.

    I can't wait to hear more of your homeschooling adventure. I am so excited to have a friend to walk through this first year with! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad I'm not the only one that cries over sappy children's books. =o) BTW, I have Max's trophy so if you will come to the check in desk when you walk in the main lobby this week I'll have his stuff for you. Enjoy Treasure Island.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you and Briggs read this together! What a sweet memory that you both will always have!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Leslie, You should have been a writer. It's never too late.

    ReplyDelete